Ok, now for Christmas proper.
When I went home to my parent’s house for Christmas, I took one look at their Christmas tree and knew we needed a replacement. Mom bought her tree at Thanksgiving and it was just as dead as it could be by Christmas. The ornaments were literally slipping off of the tree. I got lucky and got a tree 50% off at Lowes the next day. The Lowes tree was surprisingly fresh! Mom left it up for weeks after Christmas because it smelled so good. Dad and Brother were mad I got a new tree, but when they didn’t have to help me with it and they saw the end product and how happy it made me and mom, they backed off and enjoyed it too. It was small, but beautiful.
Because my mom’s mother is in the bed and will not walk again, we didn’t plan a big Christmas. My dad’s mom had planned to entertain my Uncle and Aunt for the holiday, but they didn’t make it so Mama Marian came to stay with us for Christmas.
On Christmas Eve we hosted my grandmother’s brother’s family. We ate in the living room and it looked pretty so I snapped a picture. It was the only picture I took the whole evening because we had so much fun together. The large amounts of eggnog I consumed also contributed to my forgetting to take pictures.
About the eggnog…
I don’t like regular eggnog and, since I’m lactose intolerant, it doesn’t like me back either. I bought some Silk eggnog and it was DELICIOUS. I drank 4 containers of it over the course of the holiday.
Christmas morning we all got up and enjoyed an Irish breakfast together. Dad always ordered our favorite Irish breakfast foods so we can have a special meal together at Christmas. Bangers, rashers, white pudding, blood pudding, brown bread, eggs, tomatoes and beans. YUM YUM YUM! We gathered at the breakfast table and talked about the fun we had had the night before. Afterwards, we moved to the living room with fresh cups of coffee and opened presents.
We overdid it with presents this year across the board. We all have so much to be thankful for. I received so many wonderful things.
- A new bathrobe – It’s so hard to find a thick and fluffy bathrobe that is absorbent. My mom found the perfect robe and I use it every day.
- A labeler – If you know me, you will be surprised to know that I didn’t already have one of these. Of course I love it. By the end of the day, all of the light switches at my parents house were labeled and I let loose in my own home the moment I returned.
- MZ Wallace tote – My sister gave me a great overnight bag by MZ Wallace. It holds so much and it’s perfect for my weekend trips to my parent’s house.
- Winter hat – My brother gave me a new winter hat. I didn’t have one and he gave this to me just in time. It snowed right after Christmas and I have been wearing the hat almost every day since.
- Computer adapter – My brother also gave me an adapter for my new computer. SO HANDY!
- Headache hat – This is one of the best things ever.
I also got a book, earrings, socks, fun gel pens, and other stocking stuffers. It was all too much, but I am really enjoying every bit of it.
As evidence by the lack of photos, it was a great Christmas.