Last Wednesday I received my first batch from Daily Harvest and as I mentioned in a previous post, I had planned to try every item on their menu.
The box was small and light, which surprised me, but it was all there and packed on top of dry ice.
1. Blueberry + Hemp: I was so hoping this would be good. Blueberries seemed safe and sounded nice and I’m sure they would have been if there weren’t so many contaminants that made this smoothie taste like garbage. The drink was a pleasant blue when it came out of the blender, but I looked into the cup after a few minutes and it had turned dark green. So not only did it taste like wet grass clippings, it looked like wet grass clippings too. Needless to say, I will not be ordering this one again.
2. Chai + Coconut: I like chai and I like coconut, but I did not like this smoothie. The taste made it tough to swallow but I still made it half way through before switching to eat a hamburger instead. Here’s where things get interesting… I forgot to throw the rest of the smoothie away until a few hours later and when I looked in the cup, it had risen and taken on an oatmeal consistency. It looked like a science project gone wrong. I won’t be ordering this one again either.
3. Chocolate + Blueberry: YUM! Finally a smoothie that doesn’t taste like garbage! Chocolate and Blueberry is a winning combo. It tastes more like a milkshake than a smoothie. After the first two were so disappointing I was actually afraid Daily Harvest would ruin blueberries and chocolate for me, but I’m very relieved that it tastes great. This one is going on my list to get again. Thumbs up.
4. Buckwheat + Chimichurri: I think I may like the bowls better than the smoothies. I really liked this bowl. It wasn’t as filling as the smoothies, but it was full of flavor and I liked how easy it was to heat up. This one is definitely going on my list of ones to order again.
5. Cacao + Avocado: This one was ok. It looked really weird, but ultimately it tasted like a funky chocolate milkshake. My main issue with this one is that it was not at all filling and was no substitute for any meal. This was a snack at most. I became very weak a few hours after eating it because it just wasn’t substantial enough.
6. Who the heck cares.
Yes, that went down hill quickly. I’m done.
I’ll eat the 6th one eventually, but I can’t stand this s*** anymore.
DON’T TRY DAILY HARVEST.
It tastes like garbage, it looks like garbage and it’s not filling at all. Ah hour after you eat this for breakfast you will be eating Doritos out of a vending machine just trying to make it to lunch. You can’t eat it for lunch because you will be inhaling goldfish just trying to stop hunger pains. I broke down last night and ate 1/2 of a medium Dominos pizza because I was too weak to so anything but lay down. I’m fed up with being hungry and miserable. No more hunger tears, just pizza.